Compressing Lead Vocal
The spirit has evidently moved the lead vocalist and as a result, his/her signal level is kind of all over the place. This could be a problem when it comes time to mix him/her in with everything else. A little compression on his/her voice will help smooth out the ups and downs and make it easier to sit him/her in front of the arrangement and not get lost. Here is how to compress the lead vocal in general:
1) Add a compressor to the insert of the Lead vocal track.
(In this article, I am dealing with Compressor / Limiter in Pro Tools. See the figure 1 above.)
2) Solo the Vocal track.
3) Highlight a Region that has Lead vocals and hit Play.
4) Set-up the Compressor as shown in Figure 1.
(Gain: +7.2 dB, Threshold: -34.8 dB, Ratio: 8.0:1, Attack: 11 ms, Release: 50 ms, Knee: 8.0 dB)
5) Fine-tune the settings as needed.
6) Listen with the compressor in and out by using the Bypass.
7) Listen to the compressed vocals in the mix and get a good balance.
Dynamic Processor Related Articles